Thursday, April 27, 2006

Payin It Forward

Same ole... up @ 4:45 and to the gym. Just as I pull up and thought... 'this coffee is good to the last drop', no one was at the gym! I mean the receptionist that opens... wasn't there to open. You want to see a hornets nest?! Just come by my gym at 5:10 when the opening gal doesn't show.... there are half a dozen women huddled together in the parking lot deciding this girls fate once she does get there! I call my friend Brenda (the personal trainer), she's 2 minutes away and all will be well. Close call... not sure if anyone was gonna get hurt! ;) Ran 7 miles, @ 10:32 pace. Puttin in more miles (although no real plan) so decided Monday I'll start officially training for a half marathon. I can run the distance, but have always lacked a strong aerobic base. Why?.... becasue I never trained....with a plan anyway. hmmmmmmmm... I could be on to something here. Yes, I stretched and yes... I did ab and core work. Always do.

In my work, we have all kinds of logoed promotional stuff...like the amazing ergonomic pen! We give this stuff away like candy. I gave a few to the trainers at the gym. The next day I'm giving Brenda a hard time and ask why she's not using "the pen".

She tells me one of her clients has a 15 year old daughter with Down Syndrome and she was refusing to write in school. Brenda gave her the pen and told her to give it a shot....if anything, it might be cool and she'll try. Donna reports back to Brenda that her daughter loved it ( mainly because she was the only one with a pen like that...gotta show those other kids up! ;) ..), so I brought in several more and left them at the front desk for her. I've seen Donna working out, but she comes in later and we've never talked or gotten the chance to get to know each other. Today Donna taps me on the shoulder, tears welling in her eyes and hands me this....

Wait....now there's something in my eyes......

Don't you just love how that pay it forward thing works??? I give Brenda a goofy pen...she thinks of someone else and passes it on...I get to give a little more and presto....one very happy (writing) little girl. That's what it's all about... putting the other guy first, taking the time to think about someone else, and making the time to let them know they're worth it. Please...do not think I'm boasting, this is not about me. I just love that I got to be in on it. For me... that's the best!

And thank you all for paying it forward! I love reading your blogs. If sharing your experiences can make my road a little smoother, just think of those they effect that you never know about.

;)


3 Comments:

At 10:21 PM, Blogger JeffM said...

It's the small things that make life amazing! You got to make a difference in the world- great post.
PS- I thought I'd wait till the next time you're in Portland to go to the Tin Shed;). It's close to where I do yoga, so I'll have to check it out.

 
At 6:20 AM, Blogger TRI TO BE FUNNY said...

awesome...awesome... yay--training for a 1/2! You go Deb!

 
At 10:08 AM, Blogger Una said...

That's so totally cool Deb. :) How nice to inspire others, to inspire others!

Looking forward to reading about your half training!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home