Monday, April 10, 2006

If You Only Knew....


I saw this shot and it reminded me of my grandparents. They're both long gone, but had the greatest thing going. Couldn't keep their hands off each other...two people that chose to be in love for almost 70 years. Isn't that crazy??? Her secret? Drive him nuts! Don't you love it???? It was sooooo her.

Today was Mildred's birthday and I often think...if I only knew...
How long I would have her. How often we would share laughs. She would drench herself in my mistakes and bask in the joy of me finding my way(encouraging me to stumble every chance I could get). She was everything to me. We all have those people.Those gems that are the safest place in the world. My most intimate confidant. She was wild & fun, in that order. Always willing to say her peace, profess her faith (with an attitude) and welcomed everyone and everything different from her. She embraced diversity, defied the norm. What a rush! Her spirit inspires me.
Do I give it up for my kids??? Or will it wait for another day when someone's calling me grandma....you know, that someone who's never to big for that all consuming long hug.

Ran 5 miles at a 9.35 pace... big leaps for this little girl. Did a lot of mat work. I must be crazy, but I love the feeling of core work...that deep ache that screams you're finding your center. Helps me in running. Tall and balanced. Need balance...need to welcome what's different, embrace diversity, live with attitude...defy the norm... yes... this is my fabric.

Recognize your fabric and grab it while you can!

;)

4 Comments:

At 7:49 PM, Blogger Em said...

Great run hun:)
Nope i will still plod along at 8.3 :)
Em:)

 
At 8:24 PM, Blogger TRI TO BE FUNNY said...

Not only do you have a strong core, but you also have a strong heart.

 
At 9:36 PM, Blogger JeffM said...

That's eerie that you would post that tribute to your grandma when I leave on Wednesday to go to my grandpa's funeral in Michigan. My last grandparent to die, he was 93! He came out here to see me in 93 or 94 and was sharp as a tack then in his 80's. Last time I saw him was 99 or 00 in Michigan and he was still sharp then too.
Thanks for the kudo's- you mention the Poway tour, I lived in Mira Mesa from 90-92 before moving up to Portland. Bought a house here for less of a monthly payment than renting there.

 
At 5:32 AM, Blogger Una said...

Nice tribute :) Great run - I would love to keep up one day.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home