Saturday, January 27, 2007

I love my sleep!

This little guy reminded me of my Godson, and how absolutely precious this moment is. When you hear them rustling, go into the room and there they are in all their glory waiting for you.

I love to sleep, and getting to sleep is something I've never had to struggle with. I can lay my head on the pillow and I'm out! I'm down for the count about 9:30/10:00 and up at 4:40. I get a lot of razzing from my friends because of my early bedtime, and they prefer to call me 'grandma'. Regardless of how many times I remind them I'm getting in 6 1/2 - 7 hours, they can't get beyond the 9:30/10:00 bedtime. They don't choose to get up that early and exercise is not a priority. They don't understand why it's hard for me (even occassionally) to stay up until the wee hours and just sleep in the next day. Sure, I can stay up until that unheard of 'midnight hour', but you can not 'make up' sleep, and honestly it makes me feel out of wack and a little sick. Yes...it is a little nuts to get up that early, but it's important enough that I make it happen.

Tuesday:
Core/stability/stretching - 45 min
Upper body/light weights/3x20 reps each exercise

Wednesday:
Spin: 8 speed intervals/ 45 min total time

Thursday:
Core/stability/stretching - 45 min
Lower body/light weights/3x20 reps each

Friday:
Spin: no intense intervals after yesterday's weights. Total time 1:03.

With all the day can bring my way, I never want to count on the fact that I'll have the energy to exercise after a long work day. I like my sleep! There.... I've said it, so please....don't be a hater (maybe it's a slight touch of jealousy) and for cryin out loud...Shhhhhhh, I'm trying to sleep! ;)

Live Passionately!

10 Comments:

At 10:01 AM, Blogger Flo said...

I'm exactly the same way, exactly!! I can sleep just about anytime, anywhere, for any lenght of time. When I was younger and would stay up later, I would take power naps. I could say to myself, 'I will sleep for 15 minutes' and I would instantly fall asleep and wake up exactly 15 minutes later.

Now, I too am in bed by 9:30 and up by 4:30. On those rare occasions when I do try to stay up late, it takes me 2-3 days to really get right again. It's not worth it. So I'll turn out the light now and see you later :)

 
At 2:09 PM, Blogger Kek said...

I'm with you on the early mornings, Deb. It's the BEST time to train!

I have people constantly say to me Oh no, I couldn't do that - I'm not a morning person.... and I always think that's funny. I mean, who IS a morning person? It's just a matter of discipline, and then it becomes habit. Everyone should try it - they might like it!

 
At 4:17 PM, Blogger Papa Louie said...

Sleep is just important as nutrition and exercise. If you find the right amount of sleep needed to function then you are taking care of your health too. But, I need 8 hours and rarely exercise before 7 am.

 
At 7:11 PM, Blogger JeffM said...

I need 8 hours, 7 1/2 at the lowest. Being on night shift I've had to retrain the body. On days I was in bed at 9 every night.

 
At 7:24 AM, Blogger Una said...

I would love to sleep earlier! I can't seem to fall asleep before midnight, no matter what time I wake up.

Last night Steve was asleep in front of the TV at 9PM, went to bed to make it official at 10:30. He snored so loudly I could not sleep. At 2:30 I wandered to the guest room. At 3AM he comes barging in feeling my forehead. Almost clocked him. Yelled at him to get out and not wake me this morning. GEEEEZE.

Sure enough I'm up at 8AM, after trying for over an hour to get back to sleep, and go back to the bedroom where he's FREAKEN snoring STILL. God help me. He can sleep anytime, anywhere. I just want a measly 4 solid hours!

 
At 7:51 AM, Blogger Neese said...

sleep is cool :o) You take it when YOU need to take it if anyone razzes you have them see me ;) seriously i'm so impressed with your workouts no matter the time of day and it does make sense to fit them in when you know you can especially if your work gets busy during the day

 
At 3:51 PM, Blogger teacherwoman said...

I love my early mornings! As long as I am to bed by 10 at the latest. If I plan on getting up a little before 5am, I would prefer to be crawling into bed by 9:15 at the latest! I feel so much better when I workout in the AM rather the PM.

And my friends wonder why I rarely have the energy to go out for a few cocktails on friday (or saturday) night! I am pooped! If they could only understand!

 
At 5:10 PM, Blogger Debstar said...

I miss cuddling a baby who has just woken up and is all soft and warm and snuggly. Its such a precious time and goes oh so quickly.

I'm with you about the early morning starts(though 4.40am!!!) I'm usually up at 5.30am and if I do sleep in till 8am I feel sluggish all day.

 
At 6:11 AM, Blogger Iron Pol said...

9:30 is early? Generally, if I'm not in bed by then, I start getting grumpy. I try to put the kids to bed by 7:30 so I can follow shortly after that.

It's easy to find an 8:30 bedtime humorous when you are sleeping in until 6-7 a.m. and training zero. Add 15000 yards in the pool, 3 hours on a trainer, and 15 miles of running, and it suddenly makes so much sense.

 
At 7:38 PM, Blogger Juliet said...

I go to bed and wake up early, too! Even though I keep the exercise down tho walking since I am pregnant, I still like to keep active. That and study Mandarin. I haven't been able to sleep past 5:00 since I was 19.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home