Tuesday, July 11, 2006

The first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem...

Hi, my name is Deb and I own to many cookbooks.

After I leave WW for a weekly weigh in (lost 2 pounds...yeah!) I'm thinking about my little 'habit' and decided to count them when I got home. Well, I'm the proud owner of 109 cookbooks! I LOVE to cook. I could spend hours looking at them, especially in a old run down used book store. That's where you come across the best ones! Ahhhh... cooking. Without sounding crazy, it's almost a spiritual thing. The washing and chopping (with a glass of wine on the side & music going) and bringing simple things together to make something wonderful. I love the whole Slow Food movement to. It started in Rome when locals protested a proposed Mickey D's to go up next to the coliseum. It's about the lost art of cooking and actually sitting down together to share a meal with each others company. What do they say??.... Good food, good wine & good friends. I would be in heaven with a table full of hungry people every night.

What made me think of this? Mary from the gym said she had just bought her 14 year old granddaughter her first cookbook. She asked me if I thought she was to young. It brought back sweet memories of my gram. She shared with me her love of cooking, and gave me my first cookbook for my 7th birthday. It's the Betty Crocker Cookbook (I still have it). Not a kiddy cookbook, but the real deal. That book sent me on a lifelong journey creating priceless memories with the people I love. I told her it was a beautiful gift, and hoped it sends her down that same path.

Spin felt great this morning. Afterwards ran 2 miles. All the while kept my HR between 140-147. Everything I've read up on says to keep lifting....need to see how/ when to work that in without lifting the day before my Tues./ Thurs spin classes. I also forgot to take in some protein after my last class, and I'm sure that contributed to that tired sore feeling. Can't forget the protein shake....gotta go look for a new recipe! ;)

Live Passionately

8 Comments:

At 8:45 PM, Blogger JeffM said...

MMMM... food, I love to eat. I'm also part of the slow food movement, although I didn't know it was a movement. I have a fat folder of recipes from the newspaper that I would cut out and try when the kids were younger.

 
At 6:44 AM, Blogger Trifrog said...

I can spend 3 hours cooking something that takes 10 minutes to eat. But it's worth every minute of preparation because that's part of the reason for doing it. Slowing down to enjoy life at a reduced pace and appreciate the wonders that God has granted in the form of food. And if my wife or friends are there to enjoy the time with me, all the better.

 
At 9:50 AM, Blogger Lance Notstrong said...

109??? That's alot of books!!! It's good though.....all my wife ever cooks is frozen pizza and hamburger helper.

 
At 12:13 PM, Blogger Neese said...

ah yes. the people at the grocery know us well we shop every night for something fresh for dinner, prepare it together (with wine and music), love it. Deb we need to have you over for dinner!

:)

 
At 6:54 PM, Blogger Kewl Nitrox said...

Everyone has something that returns them to their "core" rest/peace. Yours is cooking and I fear mine may be eating! :)

Good thing we are at opposite ends of the world, I could stand to gain a lot of weight judging by your amassed culinary expertise.

 
At 7:15 PM, Blogger TRI TO BE FUNNY said...

Yum...I'm still trying to figure out what cumin is!!?! :-) Sometimes I feel it wasn't worth cooking for just one person, but it's just one more way to spoil yourself rotten!

 
At 7:45 AM, Blogger Veeg said...

I do not believe that there can ever be "too many" cookbooks. That's just foolishness!

There are so many wonderful, wholesome cuisines out there. . . it is so fun to experience them all first-hand!

 
At 6:22 PM, Blogger Papa Louie said...

And I love to eat. It irks me when a great meal is prepared and someone at the table is a picky eater.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home