Tuesday, June 20, 2006

I Can't Take It!

This awesome recovery time... that is!





Waking up felt pretty darn good this morning (considering my previous night's sleep) I felt rested and renewed. O.K., rested. ;) Got that cup of coffee in my hand and I'm off to spin. I know this has got to drive most of you nuts, me working out at the gym. Most triathlete's are adamant about training outside. The few dilemma’s I have are time, (I know I will get my workouts in if they happen in the AM), my schedule can be unpredictable and I am just wiped after a work day (if you'd like to read more excuses....I'll need much more space) So it'll be weekday mornings at the gym, and outside on the weekends for me. I joined a running club a month ago that meets 2 nights a week, but haven't been able to make that happen yet...argggggggggggg.

Wore my heart rate monitor to spin. 1 hour class, avg HR 147 (70% of my max) for 53 min. Not too many places where I had completely slow down. I can feel the aerobic bennies. Jumped on the treadmill for 1 mile (10 min), keeping my HR pretty steady at about 147. Finished there and did a nice long stretching session followed by a load of core work. What a great workout! Felt strong and fresh. Not at all tired or sore. Work hard, and start to feel like I'm reaping the rewards. If it weren't for that darn patience thing that gets in the way! ;)

Now, if I could only work this into the equation...
I'm gettin there.

We all have a different (and hopefully healthy) way of feeding our passions. Whether it's a new tri bike (is yours just a little old?), or maybe a new race in a cool place you've never been. I say buy the bike....enter the race. This game of life is way to short to sit it out.

Live passionately!

8 Comments:

At 9:47 PM, Blogger JeffM said...

Nothing wrong with gym workouts- especially as much as you do. The bike is over 2 years old now with 5000+ miles on it- maybe a new one next year when I ride across America...I can dream!

 
At 11:27 PM, Blogger Kewl Nitrox said...

I'm with Jeff, nothing wrong with gym work outs. It's a lot betta than the work-outs I am missing. :(

Now if only I can convince the wife about the Tri Bike...

 
At 5:46 AM, Blogger Iron Pol said...

If you ask most people, they would say that outdoors is better, but only because they want to train like they race. A good example is the issues I've been facing with open water swimming.

I try to run outside. If I can't run outside, I always run on the track. The same with biking, since there are "outdoor" issues with which we must deal (wind, hills, etc). But for some reason, I figured pool swimming would be enough. Like the other aspects, outside training is needed.

You must, however, keep it in perspective. If training at the gym is what works and keeps you training, do it. I train indoors all winter because of weather. And if it's too crummy in the morning, I hit the gym.

 
At 7:22 AM, Blogger Veeg said...

I love this post!

Sometimes, gym workouts are all I can fit in. But, for me, comfort with conditions (like being able to drink on the bike, run in hot/humid weather, swim when I can't see a lane line) is a pretty big hurdle this year.

Maybe as I gain familiarity with all those, outdoor training would be less of a necessity for me.

Of course, I still do need my daily dose of Vitamin S. ;)

 
At 12:13 PM, Blogger Trifrog said...

Yep, life's too short to be sitting on the bench, or lying on the sofa.

Your life and schedule is what determines how and where you can workout. If going to the gym is how you get it done, then get it done that way and don't worry about what everybody else thinks or is doing. The best workout is the one you'll do.

 
At 12:14 PM, Blogger Lance Notstrong said...

Do whatever works for you!!! Ironm4n (http://ironm4n.blogspot.com) is training for an Ironman doing all the run training on a treadmill.

 
At 12:52 PM, Blogger TRI TO BE FUNNY said...

Your post came at an important time for me. You're right...Life's too short to sit the next race out. Thanks!

 
At 6:10 AM, Blogger Una said...

It's better than NOT working out! Frankly, I love my treadmill. There are days when I just couldn't face the road in the winter, or it just took too much time to get all those layers on, that I'd leap onto the mill and get it done.

Do what you do, it's working!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home