Monday, June 26, 2006

Just The Essentials



The weekend was heaven. My sister in law and her husband own a condo in Carlsbad (land of the triathlete!) which I am lucky to have my very own key. They bought it about 13 years ago and gave me the key with a "It's yours to use anytime" attached. I am so blessed by them. They say "all this stuff we have is just that....stuff.

They get it.

Saturday night I walk to the beach and stumble across a cool wine/cheese shop. Pick up a bottle of cab/cheese/fruit and walk back. I head to the Jacuzzi until I get company. No company tonight, thank you. Time to make my way in and light up the fireplace. It's a beautiful thing. Cool breeze blowing and time with just me, (along with Mr. Coppola... + a little cheese & fruit) and my thoughts. The best thoughts. Just the essentials...

This is the time of year I like to reflect on where I am. Where I'd like to go and how in the heck I think I'm gettin there. You know... the essentials. Nothing to beat myself up about or get too deep into thought. Just toss it around a little. What exactly are my goals? Faith, family, fitness & work. I find myself much happier when I've slowed down...simpified this life of mine. I'm not sure if that means I'm getting old.... or just learning how to live? ;) I know what I do and don't like, and find myself appreciating those with different interests and views much more than I ever have. I guess I like to 'mix it up'....."LET'S GET READY TO RUMBLE!" (for all you boxing fans) The qualities that I now find essential, cultivate contentment & clarity. I see a much clearer picture of exactly what it is I'm striving for, and more importantly the joy in getting there. I have all I need…..the essentials.

Live passionately!

7 Comments:

At 8:31 PM, Blogger JeffM said...

Sounds good- relaxing weekend for the essentials. I like your road of life view- you sound like you have it figured out.. as much as one can.

 
At 5:51 AM, Blogger TRI TO BE FUNNY said...

I'm glad you remembered that wine is also essential. Sounds magical! I may be heading your way this weekend for a short vacation. I'll let you know where in CA I end up!

 
At 6:32 AM, Blogger TriBoomer a.k.a. Brian said...

G'Pea,

What a nice weekend for you! Beach house, fireplace, wine, Jacuzzi, and time to reflect.

Finding contentment and living in it is a beautiful thing.

Stay tuned...

 
At 9:52 AM, Blogger Iron Pol said...

Where'd you stuff the kids? It's great to have a weekend away. I'm hoping the upcoming four day weekend will give me at least a day or two for some down time.

 
At 10:48 AM, Blogger Trifrog said...

Slowing down is the answer to most of my problems. The reason is that living at a frenetic pace wears me out and makes everyting appear much more of a problem than it is. Therefore, backing off makes many less issues and I'm rested and ready when something does arise.

Try reading "In Praise of Slowness" or "Who Put My Life on Fast Forward" for some good ideas on how to continue to slow down.

 
At 2:50 PM, Blogger Neese said...

what a wonderful flowing blog entry of beautiful thoughts and perspective on life, i'm so happy for you to have had that time to reflect and find the wine and cheese shop! :p

 
At 6:07 PM, Blogger Deb said...

Carrie: I'll be out of town....bummer!!!!!! When ever you're out this way, let me know! We'll share a glass. ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home