Thursday, May 04, 2006

Unavoidable Success...

Have your thoughts, commitments, expectations and actions succeeded at creating the life you want, or have they succeeded at avoiding it?

The title and quote was posted in the lunch room at work. No author or source listed. One of those quotes photo copied and pinned to a bulletin board. Looks like it's been there forever. I read it and it repeated itself to me all day.

Got to the gym and ran my 2.5 miles (just like the training plan said). I'd like to run more but figured I'd stick to the plan. If I stray from that, it's too easy to make other changes like 'maybe I don't need to run at all today'...and so it goes. Ran intervals @ 3% incline: 5pmh for 2 min, 7.5 mph for 1 min. Felt really good the whole time. I love when I pass the 1 mile mark and my legs feel warm and strong. Tough to stop at 2.5. Hopped off and did my normal thing... lift a little then core and more core... Successful!

Got home tonight and Rob (my 18 year old) was hanging out with his girlfriend playing Nat King Cole way to loudly. When the song L.O.V.E. came on, he grabs me to dance. We took a swing class a couple of summers ago and he's pretty good ( likes to show off to). Have no idea why, but this has always been our song. He'll play it and dance with me. It's his way of saying he's sorry, he knows what a butthead he's been, and he loves me. Chuck (who is 16 today) on the other hand, is a different animal. He's the kid that leaves me messages during the day to tell me he loves me & hopes I'm having a great day. Successful!!

I think about all the things important to me...my commitments, thoughts, expectations & actions. I have certainly been successful on both sides of the track. Successful in creating the life I want, and VERY successful in avoiding the life I want. Keeping uncomfortable situations at arms length... not engaging myself fully.... stubborn...selective...compromising when I shouldn't be. NOT attractive. Not a person I want to be. Made me think... love things that make me think....

;)

5 Comments:

At 8:31 PM, Blogger JeffM said...

Great kids who love and respect you- sounds successful!! Are you saying you've armored yourself against love to protect yourself? Or did I read that wrong? Good post!

 
At 9:13 PM, Blogger Deb said...

They are great kids..thanks. Armoring myself...maybe.But don't we all in some way? Protecting a sense of intimacy is huge for me.I don't dole it out readily. It's a holy place, which shouldn't be easily shared. Tough expectations for anyone to live up to. ;)

 
At 12:29 PM, Blogger Papa Louie said...

The Lord has blessed you as a single, working, active, mom with beautiful children. Keep dancing!!

 
At 3:30 PM, Blogger JeffM said...

Deb- beautiful answer- thanks. Papa Louie's comment says it all!

 
At 10:21 AM, Blogger Una said...

How sweet. You have great kids there! Happy birthday Chuck :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home