Saturday, September 16, 2006

Thanks for showin' up!

This morning I met So Coast Road Runners for a long (or maybe not-so-long) run. 8am Newport Back Bay. This beautiful reserve is home to a lot of morning runs and rides, and leads right to the beach. About 20 people showed and I made sure to stay quiet and lay low. Very gracious people, but I am not in their league in regards to speed. No other slow pokes today, and I was happy to just 'do my thing'.

Garmin on, HR monitor on, IPod on...I swear, can I get anymore 'hooked up'? I really love the solitude of running as well, and today I let my mind wander. Ends up I wasn't alone. A few minutes into the run Mike joined me (that's the beautiful thing about imagination, huh?). We ran a while but I'm far to slow for him. We talked and laughed. We're 2 peas in a pod.

Steven showed up and there was no keeping Mike back. Steven pushes him...makes him dig a little deeper to see what he's got. He needs to do his own thing and that's o.k. It's all good. Besides, I know Mike is really runnning ahead to make sure all's good and safe for me. ;)

Next Jeff shows up and joins me. He sees a pretty girl and off he goes. Go get em Jeff!! Pap Louie and Carrie speed by...they're on a mission.

I run past my boys, ask them to join me but that's not going to happen...not today anyway. I know they're proud of me and can hear them goofing with friends saying 'Dude, that's my mom". My late husband Bob even jumps in, but only for a minute. He tells me he's proud of the job I've done without him. He's happy for Mike and I, and says the boys will be alright. He tells me to keep running....Mike will take care of the future, and he'll always have my back.

I turn another corner and there's Neese. We run and gab and laugh. I often think we'd be good running partners. Soon she's off on her own. Everyone's finished and gone, but there's Mike. He's there to run the last couple of miles with me. That's what we do...show up, support and see each other through. What a great time, even if it was in my mind...Here are the numbers so you all know what 'we' did! Thanks for showin' up! ;)

8.6 miles
1:38
Avg pace 11:39
Avg HR 146

6 Comments:

At 4:29 PM, Blogger JeffM said...

What a grat run- and of course I got her number and she does triathlons also, so it was a very good run! Good numbers by the way- 8.6 is a long distance!

 
At 1:41 PM, Blogger Neese said...

deb!! i am crying!! that was so funny and moving and special... and thanks for including me i feel the same way in regards to running and laughin and gabbin :)

xo

 
At 6:35 AM, Blogger Lora said...

I just loved this post. You must be one special gal to have so many terrific people supporting you. Lucky, lucky you! Or is it lucky them???

 
At 7:12 AM, Blogger Papa Louie said...

It was great seeing you out on the run this morning! Yes, I was a man on a mission yet you forgot to mention my little comments I made as I strode by you. "Hey! Nice to have finally caught up to you green pea!" "You're having more fun than me too." "See you at the coffee shop in about 20 minutes".
See, you make me look like a guy who doesn't give a hoot of those around me during my runs. But I do.

Very nice post.
LOL!

 
At 10:08 AM, Blogger Steven said...

Very creative, Deb. I loved it.
Took me a minute to "catch on" but it was fun to read!
Thanks for including me!

 
At 3:21 PM, Blogger Lance Notstrong said...

Cool run.....maybe I should try that on my run today :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home