Thursday, August 31, 2006

There's a little Iron Man in all of us.

IMC is done... I often think about how overwhelming it can be. Athlete's do all they can to train and prepare. Even the most seasoned Iron Man athlete's find themselves at the mercy of the days uncontrollable events. I know I try to do everything I can for Mike , but at the end of the day, it belongs to him. Sometimes, yes.... I even get a little selfish about it. Races are no place for a selfish supporter, but it sure is nice to know you're appreciated. It makes me feel like I can't do enough for him, and that is my favorite part of a race.

His finishing time was 11:15. Disappointing for him to say the least, since he P.R.'d there with a 10:41. Work has restricted his training tremendously this last year, but I think he's finally settling in and can get back to that 'happy place' of balance in his training. What a 'personal' science this is.... too little or not enough volume, change in nutrition, continually testing what works best for you. Most of us physically train far more than the 'common man' would imagine (or care) to do. It's important we all remember that each training/race day is a blessing in itself.

He hasn't been feeling well on top of it all, and gave me a little scare after the race with a trip to the med tent. I'm used to seeing him tired and not too social ;), but never sick. Dehydrated and throwing up, he hung out in the med tent for a while, then was able to walk away feeling a little better. His training buddy Steven came up to volunteer and sign up for next year. What a great guy. I'm so glad Mike has found such a cool training partner. I think they compliment each other well. Steven was nice enough shuttle us around a little bit and help Mike after the race. Back at the hotel, I got Mike into bed, his legs iced then headed out to pick up our take out order of spaghetti, salad and garlic bread. He was feeling much better and polished off all of the spaghetti. Once he's feeling better....I feel better. I took plenty of pics I'll post once I get home.

I'm sitting in the business center of the Crown Plaza Hotel in San Antonio. Got up and ran 3 miles before the day gets started. Long day yesterday and wish I would have slept in this morning (especially with the 2 hour time change). Getting home I flew from Penticton to Vancouver, Vancouver to Los Angeles. Then turned around the next morning to fly from Orange County to Dallas to San Antonio. Tomorrow I fly back home. Lot's of air miles in a small amount of time. Spending time with Mike makes it all worth while. Heading back to my room to get ready for the day. No meetings planned until this afternoon, so I think I'll go check out the Riverwalk.

;)

5 Comments:

At 6:47 AM, Blogger Rice said...

Thanks for being there, I have to say. You see all the great supporters out there at the races and its just great. I feel bad that racers, including myself can’t always acknowledge them when you get into the zone but its good to know they are there.

Cheers.

Rice.

 
At 9:07 AM, Blogger Papa Louie said...

I am sure he appreciated you being there. You were great support for him. Sounds like you need some rest from all your travels too.

 
At 5:23 PM, Blogger Neese said...

thanks for the report, i love your perspective and agree, each race is a blessing indeed. travel safe.

xo

 
At 11:01 AM, Blogger JeffM said...

Sounds like you'll both need some rest and recup time. That a lot of flying miles! I feel wiped after an Olympic- multiply by four- wow!

 
At 8:44 AM, Blogger Lance Notstrong said...

Sounds like you are an awesome supporter Deb :-) Any woman that would ice your legs and bring back food is aces in my book :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home