Friday, September 01, 2006

It's good to be home... I think.


Flew home today from San Antonio. Our National Dealer Meeting was a 3 short days with lot's going on. I work for Toyota/Lexus and all our dealers (and spouses) from all over the country attend. Someone said there was over 4K there. Toyota built a huge truck plant in San Antonio where we'll be building the new Tundra. After the business meetings, we have entertainment. Jeff Foxworthy was the M.C., as well as Terry Bradshaw. Both were pretty funny. Then a little rodeo followed by a concert with the Eagles. Then we moved on to the convention center for the new car salon, showing all the new cars, trucks and concept cars. This was much bigger than usual. Thankfully, you can always count on plenty of sushi, shrimp and prime rib. "I love what you do for me"! ;) Yesterday morning we had a few free hours so I checked out the River Walk and the Alamo, which were pretty cool.

The Toyota-United Pro Cycling Team was there and I had my pic taken with Sean Sullivan from Australia. He's 6'3" and bent way down for this pic. We were both cracking up. They had 2 bikes set up on Compu Trainers for anyone to ride. If you reached and maintained a certain pace, you won a cycling goody bag (socks, etc.) I didn't even try, the bikes were just too big! ;)

As soon as Mike forwards me pics from Iron Man Canada, I'll post them.

My older son is really being difficult. I know growing up is hard and it's got to be even tougher without his dad, but I can only be 'mom' and this world is going to keep spinning regardless of our circumstances. I feel like I've done everything I can to equip him to be a everything and anything he wants to be in life, but I keep falling short (or he does...or we both do). I am really at the end of my rope. I'm not quite sure how it got to this point. I'm constantly being told "you're doing the right thing", but sometimes it sure doesn't feel like it. Normally when I know I'm doing the right thing, there's immediate results.....right thing = good results now. Maybe that 'now' part is what I have trouble with. To all of you who have (had) teens, cross your fingers and say a prayer for both he and I. For all of you that don't.....I'm jealous...

6 Comments:

At 5:27 PM, Blogger Papa Louie said...

We had 3 teenage kids in the house at one point in time. The 2 boys gave us grief. My daughter had a smarter head on her shoulders and did her job which was to do good in school. Eventually, the boys grew up. But it wasn't until they moved out after turning 18. As long as they are in our house we stressed our family/house rules.
May the Lord grant you grace in dealing with your son.

 
At 6:14 PM, Blogger Deb said...

Thank you...I can't tell you how much that means to me just to know someone else has gone through it (and survived !)

 
At 6:31 PM, Blogger Neese said...

what a great photo :)

hats off to you to have made it into the teenage years, i had trouble dealing with an emotional melt down of a 7 year old last weekend... i can only imagine it get's more intersting as they age. keep doing your best on the circumstances, each day is a new day.

 
At 9:34 PM, Blogger JeffM said...

With me, my daughter was more difficult. But around 18 she turned around and is a great help now. With my son it was watching him struggle to get established in the ultra-expensive LA area, but he did and loves there. With your attitude and loving ways- it should turn out good.
That sounds like a heck of a show/conference.

 
At 8:14 PM, Blogger Debstar said...

Hi Deb, I've just stumbled onto your blog and just love your writings. You have a beautiful soul and you son will know that even if he doesn't want to acknowledge it. My middle daughter (and I)went through a horror time when she was 15. I ended up going to the school counsellor on my own and discussed our situation with him. It was the best thing I could have done as he gave me some strategies on how to deal with her and after that things did turn around.
Teenagers sure know how to shatter your confidence. Hang in there it WILL get better.

 
At 5:23 AM, Blogger Iron Pol said...

I think all parents struggle through the years trying to raise their children the best they can. One thing to keep in mind is how difficult it might have been for your parents, and how they might have had the same fears. And then look at how you turned out. We can do the right things and still feel like we're missing something. It's like tapering, you do everything right, and still can't abandon the "I've got to do more" fears.

And losing a father makes things that much more challenging. Other than Mike, are there solid father figures to whom your son might be able to relate? Regardless, I think most kids find ways to make parents question how successful they are being as parents.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home