Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Gifts

In all affairs it's a healthy thing now and then to hang a question mark on the things you have long taken for granted.

Bertrand Russell (1872 - 1970)


There aren't many women in my profession so the few of us around are tight. One of these women called me today to tell me her 4 year old son was diagnosed with T1 diabetes. She was crying...which made me start to cry. She knew my late husband (who died after a very long painful struggle as a brittle T1 diabetic. We talked about all the positive things I could think of....he could be tested for a pump, he's young and has great eating habits and will be more apt to learn habits that will keep his blood sugar at healthy levels. He's got a lot going in his favor. She calmed down and admitted it was overwhelming right now (she is due with their second baby in 2 weeks!). She called me knowing I could somewhat relate to her situation but even as I hung up, I thought of how this will change their lives. This insane gift of health we have (at any level) is our daily winning lottery ticket.

Every post I read inspires me to become better. Better at taking care of this temple, showering those I love (and don't!) with forgiveness and grace. Better at not taking any of it for granted. Thank you.

I've been winding down a bit & teeter between really liking it, and the frustration of not doing more. I wonder if I'll ever really feel a strong sense of balance. Maybe the journey should be enough, uh?

Thurs: Spin 1 hour/ avg HR 138

Friday: Weights 1 hour w/ 20 min treadmill warm up

Saturday: OFF
Sunday: OFF

Monday: Spin 55 min /avg HR 140/13.8 miles (new spin bike computers!)

Tuesday: Weights 1 hour


The blessing of excellent health be yours!


Live Passionately!

8 Comments:

At 7:44 AM, Blogger The Stretch Doc said...

Appreciation and the basic love of people and life has really come to me over the last year.

Great post! I know your friends son will do well and manage his diabetes, sounds like a go getter!

and thank you for being good people!

rockon`

 
At 1:33 PM, Blogger TRI TO BE FUNNY said...

Just knowing that you were there for your friend made a huge difference in her life, I'm sure.

 
At 3:00 PM, Blogger Kek said...

Deb, that's such a shame... but as you know, it doesn't have to mean a lifetime of poor health. My grandmother lived a long and healthy life with T1 diabetes, she ate well, exercised daily and if she had any limits, I don't think SHE realised what they were.

I'm sure your friend will appreciate your advice and experience.

 
At 6:55 PM, Blogger Faithful Soles said...

Deb, you are so right. There are so many times in my training and races that I have reflected on how blessed I am and it pushes me forward. Thank you for always bringing us back into focus on what is really important with your eloquence.

 
At 11:47 PM, Blogger JeffM said...

Great post Deb, it puts things in perpective. Due in 2 weeks and the diabeties news, that's got to be overwhelming. She's lucky to have you as a friend.

 
At 11:56 AM, Blogger Neese said...

she certainly is lucky to have you as a friend... i'm sorry for their news, it's unfortunate life, for as beautiful as it is has such sadness..

love you girl

 
At 7:51 AM, Blogger Papa Louie said...

To appreciate the insane gift of health we have can be an expression of joy that can overflow to others in love and support for their needs. You were able to be that support your friend needed. My prayer is, Lord have mercy on this 4 year old boy. Grant him a special portion of love and grace.

 
At 6:15 AM, Blogger Kewl Nitrox said...

Amen, too often do we overlook the incredible gift of health. I think sometimes He lets let go thru some rough patches so we may be more of a blessing/encouragement to others.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home