Sunday, June 18, 2006

Surprise...Surprise...

First off, Happy Father's Day to all you dad's out there! What a job, huh?? This year seems to be a little tougher for my boys, more so than previous years. They lost their dad 5 years after a long challenge with diabetes. They've never brought it up on Father's Day, but this year they have both mentioned it. Going through your teen years with out your dad has got to be hard. As much as I try to be there for them... it's just not the same. They're great kids though and think they'll be wonderful fathers someday. THAT'S the gift!


Thursday @ the gym Sigal (a trainer) asks me if I'd like to ride with her on Sunday. Nothing big she says.... "I just need to get out on the bike". PERFECT, I'm thinking! This woman was an Olympic gymnast and in good shape, but I could swear her voice was giving me the 'let's just have fun', kind of ride. We meet @ 8:30 and head down the path. Irvine is a very bike friendly city with some great bike paths. This one is leads straight to the beach. The weather is cloudy & cool. Great, it was hotter than hell yesterday. Everything feels good. I'm focusing on pulling up & peddling smoothly. You're probably thinking "isn't that cute", but remember I'm not as seasoned as all of you so I get hung up on trying to get the little things right. I'm thinking we'll get to Huntington Beach, stop for a cup of joe and turn around. Sigal decides she's full of piss and vinegar "It's so nice and cool, let's keep going to Seal Beach, then turn around". O.K., I'm feeling fine (NOT like I would have told her otherwise!)The wind along Pacific Coast Hwy made it a little difficult, and my legs were getting tired. We turn around and head back to Huntington. We stopped @ Starbucks and I get a Redeye (coffee w/ a shot) thinking the caffeine might befriend me. We head back and by this time the slightest incline was tearing into me. WHAAAAAAA! "I'm fine....no problem…this is great" I'm telling her. We ride through some neighborhoods in Newport Beach and wonder what the ^#$@ do these people do for a living??? It's crazy.... We're finally back in beautiful Irvine but my quads are on fire. We both talk about what a fun ride it was and that we should hook up on Sundays when can. Hmmmmmmm. Sounds good, but I'm thinking ...maybe I should get as much time on this bike as I can!!!!!

Stopped at Subway, got a sandwich & diet coke. When I stopped it was worse. For the love of God...is this supposed to happen??!! I'm sitting there minding my own business & eating when I hear my name. Please no... to hell with how I might look.... I'm in too much pain to engage in a conversation. It’s my riding buds,"the boys". I tell them about my ride. After they pick themselves up off the ground & stop laughing, they tell me about their ride. For crying out loud...I'm having a tough time listening! I jump up and make my exit. I make it home and end with the following stats:
52 miles
4 hours (exactly!)
13 mph avg pace
(Hey, at least I admit it!)

Protein shake, shower, a cup of tea and maybe a nap. At the end of it all, I DID have a great time, YES... I would like to hook up more often to ride with her, and I'm a healthy woman. That's what I call a good day.

;)

8 Comments:

At 3:55 PM, Blogger Lance Notstrong said...

Deb that's not a bad ride at all!!! I thought you would say 25 or 30 miles at the end.....52 miles is a damn good haul :-)

 
At 6:35 PM, Blogger Neese said...

hey i'm impressed! and what a great thing to do on this special fathers day, live life, i love it. good for you!

 
At 10:00 PM, Blogger JeffM said...

Hey iron legs, 52 miles when you're not used to riding! That's a heck of a ride. Plus a new riding buddy.

 
At 7:03 AM, Blogger Migofast said...

Subway....Blech!

 
At 3:56 PM, Blogger Deb said...

Be nice Sean! A girl has to eat!

 
At 7:43 PM, Blogger Danielle said...

Wow. Like...W-O-W!! 52 miles is awesome! And I love that you're drinking coffee in the midst of your ride. Go girl!

 
At 5:40 AM, Blogger Iron Pol said...

To echo everyone else, 52 miles is a pretty long ride when you aren't used to that kind of time in the saddle. Without knocking spinning class, it just isn't the same. Wind, balance, knowledge that your legs HAVE to get you home, etc.

You'll be amazed at the improvements from good spinning rides. If you can do 52, now, you'll be a force after some additional road training.

BTW, is that 4 hours total time, or computer (actual biking) time? Because if you're counting the time at Starbucks and Subway, you're pace is obviously way better.

 
At 4:54 PM, Blogger Una said...

That's an awesome ride! More of them will make it easier. I find I adapt much faster to bike distance than running somehow.

Hugs to you and the boys.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home