Sunday, August 06, 2006

Life's Too Important To Be Taken Seriously

Isn't that the truth?? A good friend (of 25 years...YIKES!) Denise and her family threw a surprise 70th birthday party for her mom Ellie. Her family has been like my family. They have been a part of almost every important event in my life. Her nieces and nephews are the same age as my boys. I'm the younger and older 'sister' to her brothers and sisters..... It was a great time. Their family is from the east coast, so they flew LIVE lobsters and clam chowder in from Boston. We steamed those bad boys and I wish I had a picture of the table. Over 100 lobsters piled high and everyone went to it. We ate in the back yard under the palm trees and perfect starry 75 degree night. They had a slide show with pics from Ellie's birth to now, with a few of me thrown in. We've traveled a lot of road together, me and this family.
Whenever there's a 'crisis' (somebody’s car breaks down, a bathroom floods, the grill catches on fire) Ellie always came back with 'Life's too important to be taken seriously'. She'd pour a glass of wine, join you in a laugh or cry, then figure out a solution in such a 'what the hell' kind of way, that it no longer seemed like the end of your world. The older I get, the easier it is to do that...but I still have my days. ;)

Training (or not!) since last Wed.:

Thursday skipped spin..... wiped out.
Friday, lifted and felt 100% better
Saturday, spin 1 hour then 3 mile treadmill run.

Afterwards I met the ladies from my small group and had breakfast in Laguna Beach (a kind of artist's colony not far from me). Topped it off with friends and 'family' at the birthday party. The day could not have been better (except if Miguel was here). Doing my self imposed 'honey-do' list today and getting ready for the week.
Have a great week and enjoy your families...whoever they may be..

Live Passionately!

6 Comments:

At 12:06 PM, Blogger JeffM said...

100 lobsters! That sounds like a feast by itself, then add clam chowder- yum.

 
At 6:11 PM, Blogger Neese said...

your posts are rich with what's important in life and i so appreciate you sharing your story...

xo girlfriend

 
At 5:35 AM, Blogger Iron Pol said...

It's good to see you took a day off due to fatigue. (The "good" isn't that you were fatigued, but that you recognized it and opted for some rest, to many of us don't do that).

My best friend and I share the same situation as you and your friend. We've known each other nearly 30 years (since 3rd grade). Growing up, we didn't knock at each other's house. We just went in. And if he showed up on a Saturday and I was still in bed, he'd grab some breakfast and watch t.v. until I woke up.

Our first kids are 6 months apart, as were our second kids. It's great to have friends like that.

 
At 2:29 PM, Blogger Ali said...

Thanks Deb for your thoughtful comment on my blog :)

I look forward to following your journey!!

Ali xxx

 
At 3:42 PM, Blogger TRI TO BE FUNNY said...

I love the quote..."Life's too important to be taken seriously." Humor, kindness and self-indulgence make life wonderful. Thanks for sharing the story of all 3 of those!

 
At 11:52 AM, Blogger Trifrog said...

"'Life's too important to be taken seriously' ... then figure out a solution in such a 'what the hell' kind of way"

We often do think the solution needs to be complex when simple will do just fine.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home